[linux-elitists] Replying to a List and another Recipient [was Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers]

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Wed Nov 9 12:08:46 PST 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 14:18, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 09-Nov-2005, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 November 2005 09:20, Don Marti wrote:
> > > begin Ben Finney quotation of Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 05:21:19PM +1100:
> > >
> > > Point of order: on this list, there's no "might want" about it.
> > > If you reply to the list plus anyone else, it doesn't go through
> > > to the list.
> >
> > Interesting. That is extremely annoying.
>
> Yes, receiving two identical copies of a message is indeed extremely
> annoying.

I beg to differ. When I receive a reply to a message I sent to a mailing list,
I prefer to receive one copy of it to my inbox. My filters are smart enough
to filter based on the List-Id: or List-Post: headers, and so that way I'm
aware of that reply and it doesn't get lost or I forget about it.

The current situation where message to the list and to other recipients not
getting sent to the list, is causing a lot of damage. People by nature would
expect them to be sent there, and would not understand what happens when
that's not the case. Mail will be lost, etc. A completely nazi measurement
for a complete non-issue and even anti-issue.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.