[linux-elitists] Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Wed Nov 9 10:41:47 PST 2005

Rick Moen wrote:
> You should consider, isntead, holding a different conversation:  Sell
> the Nvidia card, don't buy them in the future, and encourage others to
> do likewise.  That's exactly the process that lead Adaptec, circa 2000,
> to approach the open source community in some state of alarm, because
> they suddenly realised that they'd been losing massive mindshare to
> Buslogic/Mylex and others that were more cooperative.

I'm all for the "put your money where your mouth is" motto.  It's just
that, with regard to getting a decent level of 3D acceleration in Linux,
there is nowhere else to put your money.  The market fail, there is no
conversation possible.

So the situation is a matter of compromise.  For some people, it's an
entirely reasonnable compromise to live without decent 3D acceleration
whatsoever, or to use a proprietary OS when you need it.  For other,
it's not.  If you fall within the second group, what are you supposed to
do ?