[linux-elitists] Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 9 08:29:15 PST 2005

Quoting Ben Finney (ben@benfinney.id.au):

> If you address the concerns voiced in this thread, I would think the
> existing signatories should still be satisfied with the new petition.

With all due acknowledgement of the good intentions involved, isn't
petitioning a vendor sort of like holding your breath and turning blue?
Shlomi, if, to borrow Doc Searls's saying, markets are conversations,
you spoke when you purchased an Nvidia card, some while ago, whereas
your petition will be basically inaudible by that same metric.

Which is just as well, because the petition makes you and other
signatories come across as supplicants, asking for favours.  That's a
little demeaning, isn't it?

You should consider, isntead, holding a different conversation:  Sell
the Nvidia card, don't buy them in the future, and encourage others to
do likewise.  That's exactly the process that lead Adaptec, circa 2000,
to approach the open source community in some state of alarm, because
they suddenly realised that they'd been losing massive mindshare to
Buslogic/Mylex and others that were more cooperative.

In the current case, as Don just reminded us, very little progress seems
likely to occur until those troublesome video patents run out.  But I
can't help thinking there are more-constructive things to do in the
interval than crank out petitions.