Fwd: Re: [linux-elitists] Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Shlomi Fish shlomif@iglu.org.il
Tue Nov 8 20:06:23 PST 2005

Subject: Re: [linux-elitists] Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source
Drivers
Date: Monday 07 November 2005 17:56
From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@iglu.org.il>
To: Chip Turner <cturner@pattern.net>
Cc: Linux Elitists <linux-elitists@zgp.org>

On Monday 07 November 2005 12:17, Chip Turner wrote:
> Utterly, utterly pointless.  As much as you might want to dismiss
> their claim of having too much IP in their drivers, the fact of the
> matter is, it's true, they do.  Moreover, it isn't something they can
> just rewrite away, because most of it is their "secret sauce" that
> gives them performance advantages.

So? They should still release it as open-source, so we won't have to depend
 on the binary drivers. Let them make their hardware excellent instead of the
 driver.

> Second best, as the petition puts
> it, is absolutely good enough *for nvidia's customers*.

It isn't.

> Believe me,
> many companies that need 3d under linux don't care one whit whether
> the driver is or isn't open source or not, they care if it works
> (which for those companies, it does).

It doesn't work. It crashes and hangs up the computer for God's sake.

> It is particularly silly to
> assume that just because nvidia is a profittable company that they
> should somehow devote resources to open sourcing any of their code.

Yes they do.

> There is no point harassing companies that don't subscribe to certain
> open source philosophies.  Harassment doesn't help get anything open
> sourced.

Yes there is. I paid good money for my Nvidia card, and wish it to be
supported on my operating system of choice. This isn't non-free userland
which has well-defined interfaces to the rest of the (open-source) system,
and which I can conveniently run and not jeoperdize the integrity of my
system. These are kernel-land drivers! Kernel-land drivers must be
open-source.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif@iglu.org.il