[linux-elitists] Heise covers Greg K-H

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Nov 8 12:41:46 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:19 -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:43:39PM +0100:
> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/65825</kraut>
>
> Don't those who want ein "stabiles Treiber-API"
> know where to find it by now?
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/article/2005-03-31_inside_opensolaris__introduction_to_solaris_drivers/
>
> On the other hand...
>
> "Currently Save-Solaris-x86.ORG is running Solaris 7
> x86 while AMI (now LSI Logic) corrects problems with
> their driver under Solaris 8."
>
> http://www.save-solaris.org/about.html
> (Current Solaris version: 10)
>
> I don't think even der stabiles Treiber-API can
> help you with the "my component vendor was bought by
> buttheads and I want to upgrade my OS" problem.
>
> If you got the latest print _Linux Journal_, there's
> the result of a survey about proprietary device
> drivers.  About 20% say driver licensing doesn't
> matter, about 20% won't use a proprietary driver on
> Linux period, and about 60% take driver licensing into
> account (won't buy hardware with a proprietary driver
> if a GPL driver is available, won't buy unless their
> distribution commits to supporting the proprietary
> driver, etc.)
>
> Anyway, two questions.
>
> Are Intel graphics teh sux0rz?  I want stable, I do
> almost all 2D, and I don't play high-end games -- but
> I won't taint the kernel and I don't want the system
> to choke on the occasional OpenGL data viz thingy.
>
> And does anyone else notice embedded _hardware_
> designers using the Linux source as an informal
> buyers' guide?

I got the Print version Saturday. Phil Hughes wrote:

        I know we are all going to miss Don Marti. Many of us LJ folks
        have known Don "forever", and we have worked with him for five
        years. Don had the big picture, knew his bits and was a great
        writer -- exactly the right mix.

The goes on with his piece.

What did you do Don, smack every one on the knuckles with a ruler, on
your the way out?

As Editor Emeritus, were you put out to pasture?

I guess I completely missed your exit interview. A great loss for the
LJ.

And as far as the poll on page 12.

Question 1: Are Intel graphics teh sux0rz?

In short: Yes.

I want stable too. Currently the binary drivers for nVidia do not work
on older cards (GeFore2 GTS Ultra is an example) but the "nv" driver
seems to excel at doing everything just grand for me... even the NEWER
stuff I've got a GeForce 5950, I used to be a gamer. Only on Linux, but
then OpenGL took a serious dump in quality. As well as nVidias Drivers
becoming seriously buggy, then dropping support for the older cards.

I switched to the nv X.org xserver. Does the job, works everytime, even
does everything I had setup with the nVidia stuff. with less "rendering
problems"

My newest acquisition has been a 3dLabs Glint card. The Glint server in
*X* has been awesome for me from day one... when I had an older VX1 (I
am currently typing on that machine that has it in place). I have only
one problem with it... the USWC mode the motherboard implements is a bit
buggy... thereby limiting its performance and inducing some render
glitches here and there.

I have a second VX1 in a newer machine. (even swapped the cards once to
verify it was the motherboard, which it was) it has zero issues.

Question 2:And does anyone else notice embedded _hardware_ designers
using the Linux source as an informal buyers' guide?

In short: Yes.

Not just for video and "chipset" support, but for peripherals and comm
devices, among other things such as video CCDs and many other things. I
notice the things that are dodgy in Linux are falling off the
inventories rather quickly.

I used to do some work in the PC104 bus realm and keep tabs on it
regular like. It is getting really tight in the embedded market.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing