[linux-elitists] Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Nov 8 08:42:59 PST 2005

Quoting D. Joe Anderson (deejoe@raccoon.com):

> > And, as Greg suggested, if I had to have (e.g.) a dedicated
> > gaming box, it might well run GameOS XP.  But I don't.
>
> Or ScienceAndEngineeringOS X, as the case may be, since there
> are applications for 3D acceleration beyond games.

Indeed, picking up the idea from your other post, it would be nice if
Matrox or some other company not wholly devoted toloudmouth
proprietary-software-obsessed gamer punks would produce moderately
performing 3D chipsets in quantity, for the relatively few non-gamer
needs.  For all I know personally, having little interest in that
topic, they might even exist.

Lacking that, what I _do_ know is that just about every online discussion of
video over the past five years gets instantly blitzed by punks who think
framerate is all that matters, and that loading buggy binary crap into
kernelspace is just fine.  I'm tired of that.