[linux-elitists] Heise covers Greg K-H

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Nov 7 14:19:45 PST 2005

begin Eugen Leitl quotation of Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:43:39PM +0100:
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/65825</kraut>

Don't those who want ein "stabiles Treiber-API"
know where to find it by now?

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/article/2005-03-31_inside_opensolaris__introduction_to_solaris_drivers/

On the other hand...

"Currently Save-Solaris-x86.ORG is running Solaris 7
x86 while AMI (now LSI Logic) corrects problems with
their driver under Solaris 8."

http://www.save-solaris.org/about.html
(Current Solaris version: 10)

I don't think even der stabiles Treiber-API can
help you with the "my component vendor was bought by
buttheads and I want to upgrade my OS" problem.

If you got the latest print _Linux Journal_, there's
the result of a survey about proprietary device
drivers.  About 20% say driver licensing doesn't
matter, about 20% won't use a proprietary driver on
Linux period, and about 60% take driver licensing into
account (won't buy hardware with a proprietary driver
if a GPL driver is available, won't buy unless their
distribution commits to supporting the proprietary
driver, etc.)

Anyway, two questions.

Are Intel graphics teh sux0rz?  I want stable, I do
almost all 2D, and I don't play high-end games -- but
I won't taint the kernel and I don't want the system
to choke on the occasional OpenGL data viz thingy.

And does anyone else notice embedded _hardware_
designers using the Linux source as an informal
buyers' guide?

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/