[linux-elitists] Re: Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Mon Nov 7 09:52:45 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 12:33:33PM -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Rick Moen wrote:
> >I guess I'd get involved in the Mesa project, http://www.mesa3d.org/ .
> >You get my admiration for trying:  I suspect, if I were in your shoes,
> >I'd take the easy path by just selling my nVidia gear and getting
> >something else.
>
> Like ... ?
>
> The problem is that, if you expect any kind of decent 3D acceleration
> (decent by today's standard, not by 3Dfx's standard), you have no choice
> but to shove a binary driver down your throat.

So, do something that potentially infringes on the copyright of the
kernel developers, or play purty games...

Why not just use a different operating system altogether if you worry
about 3d acceleration stuff?  I know lots of people that do just that.

thanks,

greg k-h