[linux-elitists] Petitition for Nvidia to Release Open-Source Drivers

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Mon Nov 7 07:32:35 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 22:45 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 07-Nov-2005, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/nvfoss/petition.html
> > for a petition I set up for Nvidia to release open-source drivers.
>
> What actions from nVidia would satisfy the signatories to this
> petition? How do you envision they would do this?

I don't believe there is a possible good outcome.

[...snip...]
> > Meanwhile, we are going to collect a bounty for reverse-engineering
> > the Nvidia drivers and releasing an open-source driver based on this
> > effort (using the open-source Mesa library).
>
> What is this doing in the petition? Does it not undermine the point of
> petitioning nVidia?

Yea, you can have it one way or the other. To me this does undermine the
point. I mean, look at it from nVidia's point of view, why would they
help with an effort to get the (problematic)IP out of the drivers, when
someone else is basically doing a binary decompile (err yeah...) or
binary decode and teardown, and dissection of said structure stripping.

I know, if it were me looking at this at board level in nVidia... I'd
respond with a cease and desist, possibly deciding some form of legal
preparations.

> The biggest problem with a petition like this, though, is:
>
> Why are we asking for what does not exist: code that nVidia can
> release as free software? A much better request would be for what
> already exists: specifications and interfaces for controlling the
> hardware? This not only be more reasonable; it would allow *anyone* to
> write drivers, for any operating system, under any license the author
> chooses.

Ben, best point, most awesomely pointed out. This would solve nearly
all, if not 100%, of the issues. nVidia would benefit with wider support
with less ill will. Operating systems would benefit tremendously as
well, (previous, current or future).

I just hope nVidia would help in developing those Open Source drivers,
as it would be in the best interest of that fine company. They might
actually help steer the devel process and may even learn something to
boot.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing