[linux-elitists] Integrating the firewall and the package manager?

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue May 3 12:26:10 PDT 2005

begin  Teh Entar-Nick quotation of Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 04:24:17PM -0700:
> begin  Karsten M. Self  quotation:
> > Too:  I've heard that GNU/Linux can be run as a multiuser system,
> > though for the life of me, I can't think of why anyone would want to
> > to that, or anyone who does.
>
> 	Yeah, that's kind of a big hole in this scheme for multi-user
> systems like zork.  If you're the sort of sysadmin who bangs everyone
> over the head and says "just tunnel it all through ssh and stop
> bothering me!" it's probably just fine.  But if you want to be able to
> let users run their own MUD daemons on port 31337 etc at will, you'd
> have to do a little extra work.

Unfortunately, the community shell server market is
small.  There should be more community shell servers,
not just for the social and educational benefits,
but so that new users can ssh in to see how something
is set up on a real system.

If a user wants to run a service, he usually has to
ask the sysadmin to open up a port on the external
firewall anyway.  And the sysadmin has to reconfigure
the nmap-everything-and-warn-me script to account
for the user's service.  So one more line shouldn't
be a big deal.

A modern desktop system is closer to an old university
VAX with a bunch of wiseass college sophomores's first
real C programs running on it than it is to a "PC".
And that's not even counting multi-headed systems
such as the HP 441.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/