[linux-elitists] multi-user Linux (was: Re: Integrating the firewall ...)

Rob McGee list+Elite@nodns4.us
Sun May 1 12:23:39 PDT 2005

On Sunday 01 May 2005 08:11, Mike MacCana wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Too:  I've heard that GNU/Linux can be run as a multiuser system,
> > though for the life of me, I can't think of why anyone would want
> > to to that, or anyone who does.
>
> You mean the average desktop user doesn't find Ctrl Alt F1, username,
> passwd, 'startx -- :1' intuitive?!?!

FWIW my youngest kids, 8 and almost 7, do exactly that on their shared
computer. No, not intuitive, but they have learned what to do.

I have considered setting them up with individual machines, and I do
have all the necessary hardware to do so, but 1.) this is better for
space-saving reasons, and 2.) this encourages sharing and cooperation
in a rather forceful way. :)

I'm also a part-owner of a server at a co-lo facility. All of us use
console user apps in our own accounts. It's a fine platform for things
like IRC and centericq.

My server at home has numerous remote shell users as well. (Even I'm
remote, one Ethernet hop away.)

My plan at home is (has been for quite some time) to beef up the RAM in
one particular system to the multi-gigabyte level so we can all run X
apps therefrom, including at least 2 users who will want to run VMware
clients. (We have the necessary Windows licenses, not sure about the
VMware license issues yet. Both virtuals will be running on the same
physical machine, but one will display on a remote machine -- I bet
we'll need another VMware license for that.)

> Gnome/GDM seem to have sorted that out recently tho.

[gkx]dm != elite :)
--
    Rob - /dev/rob0