[linux-elitists] smart advertising understanding.

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Mar 30 12:35:20 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 15:01, Jim Richardson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 14:33 -0800, Don Marti wrote:
>
> > No, people who have chosen not to look at an ad
> > are bad prospects anyway.  If you decide to walk
> > down 3rd so you don't have to look at the billboard
> > on 4th, it's a waste of the ad budget to put the
> > billboard on a truck and drive it up 3rd to reach you.
> > Only spammers and dumbass mass marketers chase the
> > "leave me the hell alone" market.
>

> Thank you for this bit of cluefullness, now if we can only get it to
> spread...

Except for the fact that putting it on a truck and driving around the
city catches the eye of many people who weren't going to be on 4th in
the first place.

Similarly, getting around ad-blocking will put your message in front of
willing idiots who had their software configured for them by their ISP,
family, friends or other sources.

Let's not pretend that spammers, mass marketers, etc. are idiots or are
hurting themselves. They're making fist-fulls of cash every day, and if
that were to change, the successful ones are the ones who notice right
off the bat and change tactics. You don't have to worry overly much
about the rest, as market pressures dictate that they will vacate the
pool post-haste.

--
Aaron Sherman <ajs@ajs.com>
Senior Systems Engineer and Toolsmith