[linux-elitists] So, when is the Linux Journal gonna give up and finally

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Mar 29 14:33:15 PST 2005

begin  Greg Folkert quotation of Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:36:00PM -0500:

> > Let's get the me having any influence thing out of the
> > way first.  Timing and format for the archive CD-ROM
> > is the business side, and I'm on the editorial side.
> > You wouldn't want ad-mongers picking articles,
> > would you?
>
> You can at least use clue-by-4 technology on them, at least brandish a
> clue-by-4 menacingly?

Customer demand always works better than the staff
suggestion box.

> Try a couple of extensions:
>
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/flashblock/flashblock-1.2.9-fx.xpi
>
> That blocks flash.
>
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/preferential/preferential-0.7-fx+mz+tb.xpi
>
> That one give a nicer interface to the about:config stuff.

Excellent.

> Also, I use adblock: Somehow "ads.linuxjournal.com" got in the list to
> block... and I can't seem to delete it. Curious. If your marketing
> droids found out about adblock, they's hafta swap out the thar underwar.

No, people who have chosen not to look at an ad
are bad prospects anyway.  If you decide to walk
down 3rd so you don't have to look at the billboard
on 4th, it's a waste of the ad budget to put the
billboard on a truck and drive it up 3rd to reach you.
Only spammers and dumbass mass marketers chase the
"leave me the hell alone" market.

Besides, by the time you're 1337 enough to use
adblock, you probably have your own web site, too,
and that means you're probably making links to the
sites you like -- and an inbound link is usually
worth way more than just another ad impression.

And it's better for the advertisers for you to run
adblock.  If sites started playing some "you have
to download the ad or we won't finish transferring
the page" game, advertisers wouldn't know from their
reports which were actual ad impressions and which
were elitists running proxies to download then quietly
discard the ads.  Now the reports are a pretty accurate
measure of ads actually seen.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/