[linux-elitists] So, when is the Linux Journal gonna give up and finally

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Mar 29 12:36:00 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 09:41 -0800, Don Marti wrote:
> begin  Greg Folkert quotation of Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 08:54:47AM -0500:
>
> > Release a service pack (content update?) to the CD-ROM Archive, I so
> > regularly use? I'd even be willing to buy the damn update as an ISO to
> > download.
> >
> > So, Don, seeing how you maybe kinda have a little bit of influence...
> > well?
>
> Let's get the me having any influence thing out of the
> way first.  Timing and format for the archive CD-ROM
> is the business side, and I'm on the editorial side.
> You wouldn't want ad-mongers picking articles,
> would you?

You can at least use clue-by-4 technology on them, at least brandish a
clue-by-4 menacingly?

> Current subscribers can get web access to HTML
> versions of articles all the way up to the current
> issue, so if I didn't have a shell account on the LJ
> server I'd probably write a script to snarf, de-Flash,
> and archive the current issue and run it once a month.
>
> (Yes, LJ has started accepting Macromedia Flash ads.
> Now do you believe I have nothing to do with the
> business side?)

Yeah, yeah, I saw that. for shame.

> As long as we're on the subject of plugins,
> how do I get rid of the "additional plugins are
> required..." bar in Firefox without installing the
> actual plugin?  I'd like a polite inoffensive plugin
> that just displays grey boxes where the puzzle pieces
> are now, and doesn't bug me.

Try a couple of extensions:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/flashblock/flashblock-1.2.9-fx.xpi

That blocks flash.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/extensions/preferential/preferential-0.7-fx+mz+tb.xpi

That one give a nicer interface to the about:config stuff.

Also, I use adblock: Somehow "ads.linuxjournal.com" got in the list to
block... and I can't seem to delete it. Curious. If your marketing
droids found out about adblock, they's hafta swap out the thar underwar.

> > 2002 is getting a bit far back for some of the trends we are seeing now
> > and we really need the reference from the "Source" to make sure the
> > Agents don't get the upper hand.
>
> The current archive CD goes up to 2003.  Archive
> CDs come out every year, but by the time the CD
> comes out there are a few issues not on the CD,
> so it's always a little behind.  But the archive
> CD does have the amazing jsFind "Cross-Platform
> CD Index" -- a search engine in JavaScript:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6932

Coolio, Julio^W Don.

> > Or is that whole archive thing not flying well? I hope not, as I use
> > mine quite a lot. I even have it available to me on the web. (But in a
> > protected area, so as not to do the anal-IP-leakage, like Olestra(tm)
> > does).
>
> I've only found _one_ person hosting an infringing
> copy of an LJ archive CD.  I sent him polite mail
> assuming it was a mistake in his Apache configuration,
> and he changed it to local-only the same day.
>
> Of course, the LJ authors tend to be accomodating
> free-software friendly types, so if you need an
> article to distribute with project docs you can always
> just ask the author.

See, I knew we weren't the lying/stealing/pirating (ARGH, Matey!) cheats
the RIAA and MPAA has us made out to be, no it is those darn 6 year olds
and their connivingly EVUL-take-over-the-music/film-industry plans.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux