[linux-elitists] Ha ha Reply-To

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 9 16:28:28 PST 2005

On 09-Mar-2005, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> PPS: If Linux-E is going to reject mail that is to a person and CCed
> to the list, then why isn't there a Reply-To header by default?

Reply-To is for the sender to indicate where individual replies should
go, not for the list software to munge.

Followups to the list shouldn't use the Reply-To.

> It's really annoying having to change the recipients every time I
> reply to a Linux-E message or have the mail dropped on the floor by
> the list.

If your reply is To the list, use the To field correctly.  If the person
wants a Cc, they can indicate that with Mail-Followup-To.

--
 \        "Somebody told me how frightening it was how much topsoil we |
  `\   are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire |