[linux-elitists] Re: MCI boots send-safe (Register) -- adds a net of 11 more spam hosts

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Mar 8 15:59:40 PST 2005

begin Aaron Sherman quotation of Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 06:28:30PM -0500:

> On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 14:49, Don Marti wrote:
>
> > Fortunately, there already _is_ a reputation system
> > for domain names.  It's called Google.

> Garg! That's a terrible idea.

Somebody sounds a little jealous of my Brilliant Idea
That Will End Spam(tm).

> Oh, and hey, I just put up a site at www.example.com, could you check
> out the CSS layout for me before I tell the masses?

Keep using your old address for mail until your
new domain has some juice.  And if you don't want
to reveal your content before it's done, get your
friends to link to your "coming soon" page and do a
redirect when the whole site is up.

> Get a real reputation system. They're actually easy to build, it's the
> promotion and deployment that are hard.

Exactly.  That's the reason to use one that's
pre-promoted and pre-deployed for you, and that you're
going to try to score high on anyway.  And Google
even measures the right kind of reputation --
"writes something worth reading" reputation.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/