[linux-elitists] Re: MCI boots send-safe (Register) -- adds a net of 11 more spam hosts

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Mar 2 15:16:38 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 17:30, Rob McGee wrote:

First off, let me note that I must have misunderstood, or perhaps the
original post was unclear. I had thought that Gandi had refused to
remove them AND they were then removed from the root. Thanks for the
clarification.

> Market and network pressure. Quite different from Nick's straw man
> likening it to gov't coercion, and IMO much preferable to just sitting
> here continuing to subsidise the spammers. Is that your choice?

Ok, I won't speak for Nick, but here's why I get all flustered about
this kind of thing: I have this nervous tick that forces me to imagine
how every "victory" in the war against X (drugs, spam, terrorism, you
name it) will, in turn, be used against me in future.

In this case, I am forced to ask myself: what happens once MCI and
others have been trained to remove first and ask questions later? What
if the complaints start originating from the MPAA or the US government
or the IMF or spammers?

Heck, the spammers have the most to be gained here, AND they have tons
of money. We're forcing them to evolve or die... what happens when that
evolution involves buying a very large ISP? Do we shut off half the
world or come up with a better plan?

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs