[linux-elitists] Re: MCI boots send-safe (Register) -- adds a net of 11 more spam hosts

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Mar 2 13:33:59 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 21:55, Rob McGee wrote:

> It does appear to have been removed from the root servers:
>
> $ host -a send-safe.com. k.gtld-servers.net.
> Trying "send-safe.com"
> Using domain server:
> Name: k.gtld-servers.net.
> Address: 192.52.178.30#53
> Aliases:
>
> Host send-safe.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> But they (Gandi) have not yet removed it from their own nameservers.

Let me see if I understand this (and please correct me if I'm wrong):
someone removed them from the root nameservers without approval of the
registrar?! I'm not fan of these guys, but every step in this witch-hunt
has scared the bejebus out of me. This move is particularly ominous. Who
has the authority to do this? Under what circumstances can that
authority be exercised? Or was this an unauthorized move? In which case
I'm left to wonder how it was pulled off, and how many know how to do
it....

It worries me that we keep nodding and repeating the mantra that spam is
bad without observing the precedents we're setting.

Oh well, I'm sure we'll have to leave the bad old Internet behind and
start a new one some day anyway.

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs