MCI boots send-safe (Register) -- adds a net of 11 more spam hosts (was: Re: [linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 2 11:50:27 PST 2005

on Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:07:00AM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Karsten Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com):
>
> > Strawman, Don.
> >
> > Adults judge cases on their particulars.  Spammers, particularly gross
> > spammers, are exploiting huge externalities and dumping their costs on
> > the rest of us.
>    ^
>    |  Right here is your tacit suggestion that the Internet host in question
>    |  was a spam-sender host.  Instead, it advertises and sells a bulk-email
>    |  package.  Thus Don's point.  Greater logical rigour would be appreciated.
> > Actions such as pressuring MCI and forcing Send-Safe into marginal
> > hosting arrangments internalizes those costs.  Makes the mighty market
> > work efficiently.

Spammers, and by extension, those supporting them in gross material
ways.  Going to lengths to provide tools to escape countermeasures and
reasonable attempts at thwarting same.

Send-Safe is in this category.  There's little the firm is known to do
that isn't directly associated with spam.  MCI have a significant
spam-related profile, but also provide legitimate services.  We're
looking at discouraging the former and encouraging the latter, in their
case.

Peace.

    The Journal's editorial page made the mistake of relying on the
    accuracy and completeness of The Journal's reporting.
    - Warren E. Buffett, letter to The Wall Street Journal