MCI boots send-safe (Register) -- adds a net of 11 more spam hosts (was: Re: [linux-elitists] Spam spam spam spam)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 2 10:53:54 PST 2005

on Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:55:30PM -0800, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 04:31:39PM -0800:
>
> > That said:  the pressure seems to be working.  Somewhat.  I say keep it
> > on.
>
> All _naughty software_ must be eliminated from the Internet to get rid
> of the child pornographers, I mean the copyright infringers, I mean
> the terrorists, I mean the spammers!  Yeah, that's it, the spammers!

Strawman, Don.

Adults judge cases on their particulars.  Spammers, particularly gross
spammers, are exploiting huge externalities and dumping their costs on
the rest of us.  Actions such as pressuring MCI and forcing Send-Safe
into marginal hosting arrangments internalizes those costs.  Makes the
mighty market work efficiently.

Of course, if you feel so strongly about the welfare of M. Ibragimov,
you might wish to offer him hosting services at zgp.org.

Peace.

    Jeff Waugh:  Can't see the trees for the trees...
    - http://zgp.org/pipermail/linux-elitists/2004-January/008588.html