[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 7 15:10:42 PDT 2005

on Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 01:29:12PM -0700, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:23:07PM -0500, le wrote:
> > But what do you feel is wrong with the inclusion of GPL software/drivers
> > and including or making available the source code for those derived
> > works?
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to exactly what you are referring to?  Do
> you mean, "What is wrong with combining a BSD licensed chunk of code
> with a GPL licensed chunk of code and redistributing the resulting
> binary?"  If so, that's just illegal.

No, it's not, if the conditions of both the GPL and BSD licenses are
met.

If you're saying you couldn't redistribute the resulting work under the
terms of _just_ the BSD license, you're correct.

If you're saying that loading a GPL'd module and running it (without
distribution) is illegal, you're just plain wrong.  The GPL's source
distribution requirements are triggered by distribution, not by
execution ("running" in the vernacular of the GPL).

If you'd like to discuss specifics, please indicate what terms of the
BSD license conflict with the GPL, and vice versa.

Peace.

    It is better to give than to receive.