[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 7 15:04:34 PDT 2005

on Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 10:45:34AM -0700, Greg KH (greg@kroah.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:24:30PM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> > >
> > > It's illegal to put GPL drivers into a BSD kernel, hence, this isn't an
> > > option.
> >
> > Boy, this _IS_ the linux-elitists list!
>
> Um, I don't understand your objection.  Do you think it is legal to put
> GPL code into a BSD binary?

Depending on your BSD license, it is.

The original "advertising clause" BSD license was GPL-incompatible.

The Hal Varian initiated reform _is_ GPL compatible.  It has no
requirements conflicting with the GPL (copyright notice, disclaimer of
warranties).

Lawful distribution of a combined work (BSD Kernel + GPL binaries) would
be goverened by the terms of both licenses.  That is:  one would have to
satisfy the requirements of the GPL.

Greg KH may be confusing the current BSD license with the original BSD
license, or the Apache license, which has gratuitously retained its GPL
incompatibility.

Peace.

    < bob2> beef-fed tofu tastes better, anyway.