[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Jun 7 13:29:12 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:23:07PM -0500, le wrote:
> But what do you feel is wrong with the inclusion of GPL software/drivers
> and including or making available the source code for those derived
> works?

I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to exactly what you are referring to?  Do
you mean, "What is wrong with combining a BSD licensed chunk of code
with a GPL licensed chunk of code and redistributing the resulting
binary?"  If so, that's just illegal.

If you want to offer up source code that a user then builds together,
thereby doing the linking themselves and never redistributing the
resulting binary, sure, I don't have a problem with it as it is legal,
but very impractical and nothing any sane company would try to use as
their only way to support their hardware platforms.

> It still would just work if some effort went into the work before
> distribution.

What do you mean by "some effort"?

> Nothing says the GPL portion need be complete functional code in it's
> own to be useful as a portion of another work.

Agreed, but what are you trying to argue here?

Ok, come on people, I do know the whole "distribute as source" issues
about the GPL and BSD licenses.  Geesh, give me, as someone who has
written a whole buttload of GPL code and argued in enough GPL
flamefests on lkml and talked to way more IP lawyers than I ever want
to about the GPL, a bit more credit here.

Bah, back to code, I need to remember to not feed the license trolls
anymore, they've already ripped enough flesh from me for today...

greg k-h