[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jun 7 12:01:04 PDT 2005

Quoting Brandon D. Valentine (brandon@dvalentine.com):

> I think you have a funny idea of the meaning of the word illegal.
>
> I can put all the GPL code I would like into a BSD binary.  There's
> nothing illegal about that.
>
> If I would like to distribute the resulting binary, I will have to make
> the entire source available under the terms of the GPL.  But, the
> distribution itself is not illegal.

I think Greg's meaning was perfectly obvious in context, and he should
not have had to drag in all the usual boilerplate about further
distribution of derivative works (based on APSL 1.2-covered code in
NeXT/Apple's xnu kernel, in addition to new-BSD), and the notion of such
distribution consitituting copyright violation, merely to avoid tedious
sniping by you and several other people.

> This whole discussion is rather silly though.

Some parts markedly more than others.