[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

le le@drunkenlogic.com
Tue Jun 7 11:46:31 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 14:13 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:24:30PM -0500, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> > >
> > > It's illegal to put GPL drivers into a BSD kernel, hence, this isn't an
> > > option.
> >
> > Boy, this _IS_ the linux-elitists list!
> >
> > When you rewrite the copyright law, you might send RMS a note.  You'll
> > make his day.
> >
> Brandon, I have to echo Greg KH's confusion. What are you saying here?
>
> My (informal) understanding of the GPL and BSD licenses indicate that
> they conflict with each other to a degree that requires mutual
> exclusivity.
>
> Specifically, BSD licenses say "do anything you want, but preserve the
> author credits"
>
> GPL says "Same thing as BSD, except you must share all your code changes
> for anything you ship to a customer" (rough and incomplete wording)
>
> Because of this, GPL code cannot be included in a BSD licensed work.
>
> Does this match your understanding as well?

It doesn't match my understanding. They can be mixed and matched. The
end result is that the GPL portions must maintain the GPL license. If
someone wanted to distribute in binary only form, they would only need
to remove the GPL portions from the binary.

As for the original comment about drivers, GPL drivers could be
distributed just fine all by themselves to be loaded into a BSD kernel.
There are plenty of GPL apps out there that make use of BSD licensed
libraries.

It only complicates issues when one wishes to take the code closed
source.
--
le <le@drunkenlogic.com>