[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Tue Jun 7 11:37:11 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:11:36AM -0700, J. Paul Reed wrote:
> On 07 Jun 2005 at 10:45:34, Greg KH arranged the bits on my disk to say:
>
> > Um, I don't understand your objection.  Do you think it is legal to put
> > GPL code into a BSD binary?
>
> Do you think some of us care?

No.

> I don't understand why we think it's the greatest thing EVAR that people
> reverse engineer Apple's Impending x86 DRM Doom and the DVD CSS, but when
> someone does an insmod of a Linux kernel module on a BSD box (in the privacy
> of their own home, no less), the entire world is supposed to come crashing
> to a halt because "You can't do that."

Huh?  I was explaining why Apple will not do that, that's all.  What you
do in your own bedroom has nothing to do with this, nor do I care about
that either.

> It's a bit like the {MP,RI}AA thing, except... with less money and
> political power.

Um, no.

> Same amount of annoyance, though.

Not really.  If you take my GPL code and put it in your BSD kernel and
sell it, you better be prepared for a whole lot of annoyance.  That's
the point.

> (BTW, don't bother trying to explain the difference between an individual
> doing this and a distributor doing this. If you do, then suddenly, the
> commercial, legal, and political pressure the OSDL might exert on such a
> distributor makes the OSDL look really relevant.)

OSDL is totally irrelevant to anything, why are you even dragging them
in here?

greg k-h