[linux-elitists] [dave@farber.net: [IP] more on next obvious question]

J. Paul Reed preed@sigkill.com
Tue Jun 7 11:11:36 PDT 2005

On 07 Jun 2005 at 10:45:34, Greg KH arranged the bits on my disk to say:

> Um, I don't understand your objection.  Do you think it is legal to put
> GPL code into a BSD binary?

Do you think some of us care?

I don't understand why we think it's the greatest thing EVAR that people
reverse engineer Apple's Impending x86 DRM Doom and the DVD CSS, but when
someone does an insmod of a Linux kernel module on a BSD box (in the privacy
of their own home, no less), the entire world is supposed to come crashing
to a halt because "You can't do that."

It's a bit like the {MP,RI}AA thing, except... with less money and
political power.

Same amount of annoyance, though.

(BTW, don't bother trying to explain the difference between an individual
doing this and a distributor doing this. If you do, then suddenly, the
commercial, legal, and political pressure the OSDL might exert on such a
distributor makes the OSDL look really relevant.)

Later,
Paul