[linux-elitists] Re: more on next obvious question. Plus speculations on the whole subject.

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Tue Jun 7 10:27:35 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 08:07 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:08:45AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > 2. *If* apple wants to support the OS on third-party machines, they make
> > interfaces available that enable third-party drivers, such as the
> > existing Linux drivers, to be ported to their OS. The existing OS is
> > BSD-based. It would be very feasible to add a binary module loading
> > interface that would allow existing linux drivers to be executed
> > **without raising any licensing problems.**
>
> It's illegal to put GPL drivers into a BSD kernel, hence, this isn't an
> option.
>
> > If I wanted to *prevent* this behavior, it's very very easy. I take
> > advantage of the DRM technology on the latest generation of Pentiums to
> > ensure that the OS only runs successfully on machines shipped by Apple.
>
> Based on the quality of the current set of patches floating around for
> Linux to support the Intel DRM, I really don't think we have much to
> worry about...

Nice to know that. But the other question is, how long until someone
takes the DRM out of OSX? Errr or Binary patches it out, makes a BIOS
enhancement... you know the gamut of the stuff.

Just like getting the Microsoft XBOX to run different things with out
even cracking the seals on the box. It will just be a SMO[P/E/KH/$].

And, it will never stop... until the Manufacturer just gives up, by
working with them.

On a related note, with speculations:

Personally, I think there is a bigger hand in all of this stuff than
anyone is caring to notice.

Apple:
Finally decides to switch to the x86 hardware platform, mainly because
now they can use Hardware DRM to keep OSX on *ONLY* Apple Hardware, this
has a side benefit of making DRM protection for Movie, Music and Book
publishers to breathe easier (mindshare thinking). IBM produces PowerPC,
but mainly for RISC mode. Apple uses GISC mode. Much more dependent on
GHz and bigger On-Chip cache, but doesn't want to pay for On-Chip cache,
plus wanted DRM anyway.

IBM:
IBM is sued by SCOG for illegal contributions to Linux, stalled, looks
pretty bad for SCOG ATM Overall lawyerly (yes some retired, some not)
opinion is seemingly a loss for SCOG, easy pickings for IBM should they
want it. Would be a moment of choice for IBM, should they actually buy
them on what to do. I'll leave you to think about what that decision is
and why they would choose a certain path. Noting that SCOG(Caldera) and
IBM have been rather heavy contributors to Linux, at times.

On another IBM Front.
IBM has Cell Processor, therefore not caring about desktop performance,
as RISC mode PowerPC is so much more dependent on On-Chip Cache and over
all Memory bandwidth, than GISC mode. IBM also wants out of the current
"Desktop Computing" field of play. This forces Apple to shop for a
vendor willing to help it out. Thus, switching to Intel, which has been
salivating for years. Intel using rather "questionable/unproven"
hardware DRM. IBM has a new customer for the Cell Processor: Sony and
its Playstation 3 (PS3). 90 millions PS2 units have been sold since
launch... impressive is a word I'd use. If the PS3 does its duty, prolly
more(how much more? dunno) of them will be sold in a similar amount of
time. Apple seems to be wanting the DRM to pursue other media outlets
(iMovie or something)

Intel:
Fighting to get back at the (mindshare) top. Seeking to get into
anything it sees as beneficial to its image. Lovingly accepts Apples
advances. Though, it seems at a price undetermined by anyone willing to
talk. Intel also losing ground to AMD, VIA and IBM in certain areas of
the market. One also notes that Intel at time has been a heavy Linux
contributor.

Transmeta:
Transmeta hired Linus. Transmeta releases Crusoe, does quite well for an
unkown product or Manufacturer. Transmeta allows Linus a sabbatical to
work at OSDL, with a sponsorship. Transmeta is very quiet lately. Too
quite. IBM has the Cell Processor able to do most if not *ALL* things
Crusoe does do / has done ruining many avenue for them to go. Transmeta
has also contributed to Linux in more than one way, and still does
today. One wonders if Transmeta is ripe to be absorbed/purchased by a
large company, not being Intel.

Linux:
Recently, much hula-ba-loo has been had about the code repository stuff.
OSDL is sort of related, mainly Linus works there, Trudge works there,
too. Much attention of Geeks and Media alike has been focused on this
for far too long. Also, some interesting patches have been argued on the
LKML as of late. (Yes, I have done the unsub, I prefer to read it in
Newsgroup form now). I also notice significant progress being made in
Fastboot, OpenBIOS and other hardware "basics" coming along nicely. Many
countries, companies, groups and companies are flocking to aid Linux in
progressing to a better place than we are now.

There are some pieces missing, Motivation is one, unless you know what I
am supposing. Another is the actual players, as most of what I pointed
out are just pawns.

There ends my pointing out of facts. Let us just see how many people
followed along.

I am not a conspiracy theorist, never have been, but I do find it easy
to see things, patterns, motions other cannot.

I wonder how much longer it'll be before this plays out.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux