[linux-elitists] Free HAL for Atheros on Linux?

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Wed Jun 1 13:18:12 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 11:19:30AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> Reyk Floeter <reyk@vantronix.net> has done a Free
> replacement for the Atheros "send your /dev/random
> state to Dr. Evil" layer, for OpenBSD.
>
>   http://team.vantronix.net/ar5k/
>
>   http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/ic/ar5xxx.h?rev=1.11
>
> Anyone using it on Linux?  Or should I just plan
> to put OpenBSD on anything with an Atheros chipset
> and STFU?

No, you can port the thing.  The -mm kernel tree finally has a sane
wireless core so Linux will slowly start to catch up and get more
wireless support over the upcoming months.  Main problem is, we need
more developers.  See:
	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.12-rc5/2.6.12-rc5-mm2/broken-out/git-netdev-we18-ieee80211-wifi.patch
for proof...

greg k-h