[linux-elitists] Did Linux-Elitists Mailing List drop off...

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jul 25 10:40:46 PDT 2005

begin Rick Moen quotation of Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 10:26:02AM -0700:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org):
>
> > Maybe it's time to convert this forum from a Mailman list to a Planet
> > site.
>
> Yes, a retreat from reinventing Usenet badly to reinventing town-hall
> corkboards badly indeed seems just the ticket.

You should be able to do threading and killfiles on
top of anything that has some kind of user identifier
and some kind of back link.  It's just that all the
RSS aggregators I've seen so far are just really
primitive that way.

The key advantage of SMTP over RSS/HTTP is that
it's easier to do client-software-based "elitism".
(with a few exceptions, such as libgmail, whose users
I'd like to allow to post, but can't without letting
in users of the original, proprietary gmail client.)

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/