[linux-elitists] Fedora Legacy

Colin Charles byte@aeon.com.my
Fri Jan 28 07:45:47 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 11:24 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> Totally stalled.  Usually when I run an article like last week's
> (http://lwn.net/Articles/119060/) I can expect at least a "we're not
> dead yet" letter.  Not this time.  No updates are forthcoming (not
> even
> for critical holes), the mailing list is about dead, and, evidently,
> they do not have a working build server.  There are people interested
> in
> bringing Fedora Legacy back to life, but I'm not sure when they'll
> achieve that.

Stalled at the moment, but definitely not dead Jonathan

When you publish something like that, its not wise to assume that we all
pay to read the weekly edition

That aside, you might feel like contacting Jesse Keating for an official
comment. What I can tell you however is that the build server was
incorrectly moved, and 4 SCSI disks broke. The OS and the build system
stuff (mach) is rescued, but now its time to resync
download.fedoralegacy.org which is around 35GB of stuff (and the pipe
they have caps out at 1.5mbps)

They're now working on a backup build system as well. Jesse did post to
fedora-legacy-list about the issue

More to come from Legacy:
 * Bugzilla - the eventual plan, soon is to get it sitting at
bugzilla.redhat.com (as opposed to bugzilla.fedora.us)
 * More contributors are always wanted (its never a sexy job to keep
maintaining old stuff)

Once Fedora opens up for external contributions, this might happen a lot
better

If you want comments about anything Fedora related, there's a handy
press@fedoraproject.org alias that Greg DeKoenigsberg, Jack Aboutboul
and I will answer gladly

Warmest regards
--