[linux-elitists] What to do about cluebatting such companies, that require possibly *YEARS* old Distros

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Fri Jan 28 05:44:23 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:30 -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 18:41, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Aaron Sherman (ajs@ajs.com):
> >
> > > Rick, once again I'll ask the question: show me an example of one
> > > company that does better than their competition (not just "is big"),
> > > where they do and their competition does not upgrade operating system
> > > software more frequently than every 3 years.
> >
> > Once more, I'll suggest that you review the risks to exposed,
> > unmaintained and EOLed systems, and consequences thereof.  I'm not
> > playing "show me a company" games.
>
> The statement has been made, over and over again that there's some
> decisive link between the competency/agility of a company that upgrades
> OSes frequently vs. one that does not (note that I'm not at all talking
> about the CAPACITY to upgrade frequently, but the act). Without examples
> and counter-examples, I am left to assume that's simply speculation.
>
> > If you don't get that, then I can't help you.
>
> Believe me, I wasn't looking for help on this topic. Not in the
> slightest. I was asking you (and others) why there seems to be such a
> strong feeling that upgrades have to happen so frequently. Is it just
> that I'm older and 3 years no longer seems like an eternity?
>
> So, security is the concern. Ok fine. In the case of outward facing
[...]
> I measure system uptimes in longer units than it seems like many people
> here want upgrade cycles to be. I guess these are just different worlds
> with different demands on them.

MMMM, that sounds good.

Weathered, Hard, Tough, Crunchy outside. Warm, gooey, soft and tasty
inside. Almost sounds like a good french Cream-Puff or Eclair.

I am hoping you understand, Hostile networks are not only on the outside
of a firewall. A significant percentage come from within. I'd bet those
that do, just love push-over machines to bidding for them.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux