[linux-elitists] What to do about cluebatting such companies, that require possibly *YEARS* old Distros

Vince Hoang vince@litrium.com
Thu Jan 27 12:16:55 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:30:37PM -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> Now, as for internal systems... as others have pointed out, the
> cost-benefit analysis probably favors sticking with a longer
> upgrade cycle of about 3-5 years. That's about the period of
> time that I find software starts to become difficult to manage,
> along-side of its newer cousins (e.g. the "why don't those
> boxes support monitoring feature X when everything else does"
> syndrome).

Then choose distributions that offer 3-5 year support for those
systems. For the Red Hat flavors, one strong option is CentOS.
The alternative is offering support for Fedora Legacy.

-Vince