[linux-elitists] You're either with the Internet Explorer or you're with the terrorists...

Rob McGee list+Elite@nodns4.us
Thu Jan 27 09:02:34 PST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 09:53, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Mike MacCana wrote:
> >      Jailed for using a nonstandard browser
>
> I smell an opportunity for a big, fat civil lawsuit.

Perhaps, but against whom? BT? They simply alerted the police of what
they thought in their cluelessly good faith was an attack. Against
Scotland Yard? I don't know how the civil laws work over there, but in
the USA the authorities could and likely would simply decline to be
sued.

I smell another Randal Schwartz story. The best this "hacker" can hope
for is dismissal of charges! I hope at least the bad PR can help him
get that much.

I note that they confiscated his computers, so he might not be able to
get online to tell his story. How convenient!

> If this happened to me, I would be fighting tooth-and-nail to make
> sure those responsible for this blunder don't get away with just a

And you would learn well the meanings of the words, "frustration" and
"injustice". BTDT, got out on bail.

Did you see the BBC story? Nice spin on that one. You watch, there's a
good chance that the same spin will remain on the story as reported in
the mainstream media.

> slap on the wrist.  Incompetence at this level is a public hazard.

Incompetence of this sort is the rule, not the exception.
--
    Rob - /dev/rob0