[linux-elitists] You're either with the Internet Explorer or you're with the terrorists...

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Thu Jan 27 06:47:28 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 00:07 +1100, Mike MacCana wrote:
>        From www.boingboing.net...
>

>       Jailed for using a nonstandard browser
>
> A Londonder made a tsnuami-relief donation using lynx -- a text-based
> browser used by the blind, Unix-users and others -- on Sun's Solaris
> operating system. The site-operator decided that this "unusual" event in
> the system log indicated a hack-attempt, and the police broke down the
> donor's door and arrested him. From a mailing list:
>
>     For donating to a Tsunami appeal using Lynx on Solaris 10. BT
>     [British Telecom] who run the donation management system misread an
>     access log and saw hmm thats a non standard browser not identifying
>     it's type and it's doing strange things. Trace that IP. Arrest that
>     hacker.
>
>     Armed police, a van, a police cell and national news later the
>     police have gone in SWAT styley and arrested someone having their
>     lunch.
>
>     Out on bail till next week and preparing to make a lot of very bad
>     PR for BT and the Police....
>
>     So just goes to show if you use anything other than Firefox or IE
>     and you rely on someone else to interogate access logs or IDS logs
>     you too could be sitting in a paper suit in a cell :(

So... this Homeland Security Mad^H^H^HGoodness a plenty, isn't just here
in the Good Ole U.S. of A. Glad to be of help to the Brits.

Which points out another flaw, of which I leave that up to the reader to
determine.[1][2]

[1] - Accordingly, they need to have a braincell and 1 braincell only,
thinking to much will get you suspected of many things.

[2] - apt-get remove --purge lynx lynx-cur links links2 w3m curl
libperl-lwp konqueror epiphany-browser galeon privoxy squid-client amaya
wget checkbot chimera2 dillo elinks encompass kazehakase
libhttp-dav-perl libwww-search-perl libwww-shorten-perl netrik (others I
am sure)
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is