[linux-elitists] What to do about cluebatting such companies, that require possibly *YEARS* old Distros

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu Jan 27 02:29:39 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:09:37PM -0500, Aaron Sherman wrote:

> Rick, once again I'll ask the question: show me an example of one
> company that does better than their competition (not just "is big"),
> where they do and their competition does not upgrade operating system
> software more frequently than every 3 years.
>
> I've seen some of the largest financial, Internet and special-purpose
> software and service companies in the world, all successful, and none of
> them upgraded their OS more often than once every 3 years.

I've frequently wondered about this. Also, how much irrationality in
decision-making the management can typically afford, and still not make
the company go out of business due to the leaner and meaner
competition.

I think what's happening is that competitiveness is not (yet?) that harsh, and that
random factors dominate over company fitness.