[linux-elitists] What to do about cluebatting such companies, that require possibly *YEARS* old Distros

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Jan 26 14:57:17 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 16:45, glen martin wrote:

> Aaron takes issue with the word 'improperly'.
> It is a question of goals.  In a large telecom
> manufacturer at which I once worked, tests were
> fully automated and thorough. More people wrote
> tests than wrote the system under test. This was
> because for that environment bugs were simply
> unacceptable period. There are other environments
> that are the same: nuclear reactor control systems,
> radiation therapy machines, etc. The economics don't
> permit error. The word 'improperly' absolutely
> applies in this sort of context.

I would agree, and yet how often did that telco upgrade the OS on their
switches?

> For the rest of us, it is an optimisation
> problem. Cost of defects vs cost of rigor at
> initial development time.

I disagree. For the rest of us, it's a matter of the cost of upgrading
vs the benefits of incremental versions of the system software. In most
cases, it's simply not a win to upgrade more than once every few years
(not counting security updates, of course).

--
☎ 781-324-3772
✉ ajs@ajs.comhttp://www.ajs.com/~ajs