Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 26 13:38:33 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 09:57 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Do they require them to be exposed to hostile networks, _and_ to run with
> IP-filtering manually disabled?  If not, your point would seem
> irrelevant to present discussion.

During install, you can choose to turn firewalling on or off.  I doubt
the commercial software requires it, but many people disable the
firewall so they can *telnet* in...don't get me started.

Also, these installs (often) happen on laptops with wireless that get
put onto who-knows what networks.

-tduffy