[linux-elitists] What to do about cluebatting such companies, that require possibly *YEARS* old Distros

glen martin glenm@locutory.org
Wed Jan 26 12:51:06 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 12:37, Aaron Sherman wrote:
> In company after company I see this. Upgrading software more than once
> every 5-6 years is HARD, and only once significant pain is felt does it
> even become a consideration.

In fact, there are only two good times for large upgrades:
  - when replacing the system, and this is rare. Many folks
    haven't 'upgraded' from COBOL yet.
  - when extending the system, in which case the
    extension is coded in something new and it calls
    the untouched old system.

Sure, folks will upgrade for security patches. Well,
they'll select which ones they need, and which systems
they're worried about. But change is a problem when
lives and revenues are in the stream.

It reminds me of the story of the Space Shuttle
on-board system, which had 400,000 known bugs.
This was infinitely preferable to an upgrade with
even just 1000 unknown bugs.

glen