[linux-elitists] What to do about cluebatting such companies, that require possibly *YEARS* old Distros

Greg Folkert greg@gregfolkert.net
Wed Jan 26 11:46:49 PST 2005

On being prompted by Mister Moen...

I for one, am disgusted with companies that are stuck in the
"Pre-Fedora" Era. Even resist going to RedHat Advanced/Enterprise
Server/Workstation (that is another gripe I have about RedHat, for
another thread though). Some of these same companies Are stuck on
"Turbolinux" from quite a while ago before the change of many hands went
down. Also some also Are stuck at SuSE v8.* etc...

I mean, WTF, I have stuff made for "Only RedHat v5.[012]" running just
fine on Debian SID. Something that haven't been really worked/coded on
for 5+ years (MARS-NWE) working just fine on Ubuntu's Warty. Yes, I
compiled it, fixed a typo and voila.

So, *WHY* me being a little(maybe not so little) old(maybe not so old)
individual am able to simply have things running, on a Wide Range of
Distros, with far differing Libraries and kernels (some being early 2.0
apps running on 2.6.9) and Processors (I have Alpha, Intel x86 and
Nocona, AMD x86 and Opteron, Sparc32 and Sparc64)... Why in the WORLD
cannot companies "Get Linux" and for that matter "Get *BSD" either.

Yes, I know it is not "economically feasible", for one thing that *IS*
hogwash. Second, LCC and LSB etc... Don't really mean a hoot. Neither
one will make much difference in the supported platforms arena. The only
way to make that happen is to have a certification/compliance testing
application. But even then, companies won't care, they only support
RedHat and maybe SuSE, Mandrake if we are lucky and the Wind Blew the
right way.

So, how can we (we as FOSS activists) help these clueless Monstrosities
called ISVs and IHVs get with the real program.

If Debian and Gentoo can support such a wide range of things all through
mainly volunteer work (yes, I know there are "Paid" Developers for both
distros), Why cannot these companies just understand... is it *THAT
FOREIGN* to them as to be sour tasting to their intellect? From what I
can tell, they want "Windows Ideals" (there is an Oxymoron for you)
place upon Linux and *BSD for "Known APIs and ABIs" that are disclosed
under NDA, which end up being not entirely correct either.

How, just how do/can we do this to help out?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup