Tom Duffy tomduffy@dslextreme.com
Wed Jan 26 09:50:54 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 21:45 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Again:  This particular instance isn't someone who installed RH 9 and
> 7.3 and then _later_ wasn't paying attention when it subsequently became
> unmaintained:  This is someone who deliberately installed them _after_
> they had been EOLed and had already, long before, become unmaintained.

You would be surprised (or maybe not) at how many commercial
applications "require" RedHat 8 or 9.  I guess these companies couldn't
handle the shift to Fedora.  For instance, Metroworks IDE, is one I have
had to deal with recently.  It behaves erratically on Fedora 2.  So,
people in my group install RedHat 9 on brand new machines to get support
for their crappy commercial software.

Oh, and do they bother to run up2date or install yum to point at legacy
support?  Of course not.

-tduffy