Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 25 23:59:58 PST 2005

Quoting Nathaniel Smith (njs@pobox.com):

> I don't quite follow how this is relevant.

OK, I believe you.

Before I spend time additional reviewing, yet again, the timeline and
the distinction between a distribution that's long ago been EOLed and
one that is currently maintained, perhaps you wouldn't mind clarifying
which part of that you didn't quite get -- or alternatively that you're
just being argumentative.  (Either one's fine.  I just ask in the name
of efficiency.)

> But surely this is a reasonable way to simulate what
> happens to those machines that _were_ installed and then left
> unmaintained, which is an interesting thing to know?

Um, no.

Oh, wait!  Was that supposed to be a rhetorical question?  I'm a bit
slow at these things.

> Sure, it means you can't claim that the results are representative of
> people installing the latest distros (and if the report does claim
> that, then naughty reporter).

Oh, you mean this is one of those "Let's see what happens when I
deliberately go out of my way to install extremely antique, unmaintained
software _and_ deliberately disable the system IP-filtering" articles?
Damned shame it doesn't say that up front.  Which you may recall was my
point.

> I haven't actually read the report in question.)

Yes, I'm sure.

--
Cheers,                                      Hardware:  The part you kick.
Rick Moen                                    Software:  The part you boot.