Nathaniel Smith njs@pobox.com
Tue Jan 25 23:25:17 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 09:45:07PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Martin Pool (mbp@sourcefrog.net):
>
> > It's unrepresentative, but still there must be thousands of such
> > machines.  Many people do just install Linux and never do any
> > maintenance.
>
> Again:  This particular instance isn't someone who installed RH 9 and
> 7.3 and then _later_ wasn't paying attention when it subsequently became
> unmaintained:  This is someone who deliberately installed them _after_
> they had been EOLed and had already, long before, become unmaintained.

I don't quite follow how this is relevant.  Sure, it means you can't
claim that the results are representative of people installing the
latest distros (and if the report does claim that, then naughty
reporter).  But surely this is a reasonable way to simulate what
happens to those machines that _were_ installed and then left
unmaintained, which is an interesting thing to know?

(Modulo by-hand removal of firewall rules and things like that, of
course, as was claimed elsewhere on this thread; I haven't actually
read the report in question.)

-- Nathaniel

--
"But suppose I am not willing to claim that.  For in fact pianos
are heavy, and very few persons can carry a piano all by themselves."