Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 25 21:45:07 PST 2005

Quoting Martin Pool (mbp@sourcefrog.net):

> It's unrepresentative, but still there must be thousands of such
> machines.  Many people do just install Linux and never do any
> maintenance.

Again:  This particular instance isn't someone who installed RH 9 and
7.3 and then _later_ wasn't paying attention when it subsequently became
unmaintained:  This is someone who deliberately installed them _after_
they had been EOLed and had already, long before, become unmaintained.

> I would hope that sometime in the future it would be possible to
> install a machine, seal it behind a wall with only net/power, and have
> it run securely without owner intervention until the hardware fails.
> Why not?

Would indeed be nice to be able to rely on.