Bob Bernstein rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us
Tue Jan 25 19:25:32 PST 2005

Don Marti wrote:

> Machinery that starts making high-pitched noises when unmaintained
> tends to get attention.  Computers have speakers.  If mail gets no
> result, the cron scripts could start screaming for help.

I'm doing some work for a lab that has a screaming Indigo2 in the
corner; it's the lab mailhost too. It's loudspeaker has been screaming
for about a month and a half now. They piled books and looseleaf binders
in front and around the thing to dampen the noise. The SGI help guy told
them it's some plugin thingie on the mainboard that costs $1500 to
replace, new, from SGI.

So it just screams away. And, I'm told it's an inoperable condition --
wirecutters are to no avail. So, no, the *functioning* of the machine
has to be interrupted to _really_ get attention.

Screams? No problemo!

--
Bob Bernstein. OS/2. It's like...retro, man.