Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 25 10:55:59 PST 2005

Quoting Etienne Goyer (etienne.goyer@videotron.ca):

> I can definitely see how such a system could end up on the Internet.  J.
> Random Linux Sysadmin is hired to build a system to do xyz (email, web,
> file server, whatever).  Of course, he use whichever Linux distro is
> current at the moment.

Yes, but these were new systems built and deployed in _December 2004_.
This isn't a case of maintenance silently breaking when the admin wasn't
paying attention:  RH 9 and 7.3 were already fossils.

I could imagine installing an already EOLed distribution _if_ one had
a plausible maintenance plan.  But these were deliberately deployed
with RHN/up2date broken ab initio, and _nothing_ taking its place.  Thus
my point.

Afterthought:  I vaguely recall that up2date has some admin-notification
system.  I sincerely hope they designed the thing to failsafe in the
sense of prominently notifying the admin if/when RHN faclities cannot be
contacted for several days in a row, and advising him of the risks
entailed.  If not, they certainly should have.

> Thanks $deity for iptables.

Indeed, you'll note that the Honeypot Project "study" actually had to
deliberately, manually sabotage the RH 9 / 7.3 iptables scripts, to
achieve the results they did.