Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer@videotron.ca
Tue Jan 25 10:41:14 PST 2005

Rick Moen wrote:
> One is moved to wonder _why_ you would leave a glaringly obsolete
> Linux distribution unpatched.  Both RH 9 and 7.3 are now EOL; even
> errata for them are no longer published:  Updates, as you say, ended
> last April.

I can definitely see how such a system could end up on the Internet.  J.
Random Linux Sysadmin is hired to build a system to do xyz (email, web,
file server, whatever).  Of course, he use whichever Linux distro is
current at the moment.  The system just work and churn his work day
after day.  Nobody care to call J. Random Linux Sysadmin for maintenance
since, well, it just work.  Until the day the owner of the server got
his net access cut-off by his ISP for being a spam relay or a zombie in
a DDoS.

I am not advocating leaving server on the Internet unmaintained forever.
  I am just saying it happen quite frequently.

Thanks $deity for iptables.