Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Jan 21 12:53:50 PST 2005

begin  Phil Mayers quotation of Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 08:57:15AM +0000:

> [Hmm - message rejected by filter match, I was under the impression
> Thunderbird was Free. Oh well]

Please send me your User-Agent or X-Mailer header
off-list and I'll check the regular expressions.

> o) Strong progress in some server environments such as Apache,
> mod_LANGUAGE, general Perl/Python/PHP progress, Zope, Twisted, etc.

* Still-increasing web developer mindshare for Free
server-side technologies such as PHP.  Widespread
availability of Free infrastructure such as MySQL,
as part of inexpensive small business web hosting
packages.

> o) In stark contrast to a couple of years ago, time-to-crack for an
> average Unix system went up to 3 months (I'd seen instances of 20
> minutes ~2000/2001), while that for XP dropped into the single-digit
> minutes range. Partly of course that's based on economies of scale for
> the new, organised cracking botnet "salesmen", but bear in mind: For
> that period both Windows and Unix systems have been fixing bugs, but one
> has got better, the other worse

You're not talking about the Honeynet report, are you?

Report date: 17 December 2004.  EOL date of _latest_
Linux release cracked (Red Hat 9): 30 April 2004.

http://www.honeynet.org/papers/trends/life-linux.pdf
http://www.redhat.com/migrate/

I don't really see what the report shows, other than
"unmaintained software on an Internet host will
eventually get compromised."

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/