Tom Clark tclark@requisitesystems.com
Fri Jan 21 08:23:13 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 10:46 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> I hope other share what they feel was bright about 2004.

I just remembered something good.  Last fall, I went to a local
tech-industry group breakfast/seminar/lovefest because they did a
session about Linux and I had spoken with the presenter.  He started his
talk with some results of a survey he had taken of the companies that
participated in the group (high-tech companies and companies with
significant tech departments).  A couple highlights:

-100% of respondents were using Linux somewhere in their organizations.
-over 56% of the DESKTOP systems in the respondents' organizations were
running Linux.  If you removed the largest company from the sample, the
percentage of Linux desktops dropped dramatically, but that does mean
that the largest company in the region was making significant use of
Linux desktops.

Also, I'm teaching an intro to Linux class at the local community
college this semester.  Most of the students work for a local company
that uses Linux (not the large company mentioned above).  The company
pays for this training for all of its employees.

-Tom Clark