[linux-elitists] defining DRM?

Ben Finney ben@benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 20 17:47:01 PST 2005

On 21-Jan-2005, Ben Finney wrote:
> On 20-Jan-2005, Don Marti wrote:
> > Digital Rights Management is any technology that selectively
> > restricts and permits uses of a copy of a cultural work by the owner
> > or authorized user of the copy.
>
>     s/selectively restricts and permits/selectively restricts/
>
> If the DRM system permits, it's effectively doing nothing.  The only
> time the system actually does something, is when it restricts.
>
>     s/work .*/work./
>
> The DRM system interacts with, and selectively restricts, *every*
> user, regardless of who they are.

I think I see what you're trying to do with that qualification; to
emphasise that it's the person who should be allowed to use it that ends
up being restricted.

How about:

    s/work by .*/work by the legitimate owner of the copy./

--
 \     "If you're a young Mafia gangster out on your first date, I bet |
  `\    it's real embarrassing if someone tries to kill you."  -- Jack |